Disguised as a simple veggie soup, this nutrient-dense dish packs a lot of warm, comforting flavour. No shame in swapping your spoon for a nice sourdough!
You will need
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tin (200ml) light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, roughly chopped, to serve
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes, to serve
15 mins to prep
40 mins to cook
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until soft.
Add spices and stir until fragrant.
Add lentils, sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, soy sauce, stock and water and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
Add coconut milk and blend with a hand blender (or in a food processor) until smooth. Add more water if soup is too thick.
Serve topped with coriander leaves and chilli flakes.