Remember when risotto was sort of an indulgent meal? Yeah, not anymore. This one is chock full of wholesome ingredients that will fill you with goodness, not guilt!
You will need
- 1 1/3 cups medium grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 300 g mixed mushrooms, sliced (e.g. button, Swiss brown, field, porcini, enoki)
- 1 tablespoon thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 1/2 tablespoons truffle oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, extra
15 mins to prep
30 mins to cook
Place rice in a microwave proof dish and pour over 2 cups of water. Microwave on high for 15 minutes to partially cook the rice.
Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms and thyme and cook for 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Set aside.
Heat remaining oil over medium heat and cook onion for 3-4 minutes or until very soft. Add rice (along with any remaining liquid), wine and stock and simmer for around 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Stir through nutritional yeast, almond milk, pine nuts and lemon rind. Gently fold through mushrooms.
Divide between four bowls, drizzle with truffle oil (if using), top with thyme leaves and serve.