Making tofu taste delicious is as simple as knowing how to dress it up. Enter: this homemade BBQ sauce, a punch of flavour that can make a meal out of anything!
You will need
- 1 block firm tofu, pressed (to remove excess water) for about 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepepr
- Rice bran or other mild oil, to fry
- Rice, to serve
- Green onion, chopped, for garnish
- Steamed or fried vegetables (optional)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons gochujang sauce
- 1 small apple, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
15 mins to prep
30 mins to cook
Slice tofu into equal cubes.
In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
Add tofu cubes to a large bowl, then add cornstarch, salt and pepper, and toss until each cube is coated.
Heat oil in pan and then add the tofu. Brown on each side until each piece is crispy.
Remove tofu and oil from pan, and place pan back on heat, adding half of the sauce. Heat on low for 2 minutes, then add tofu to sauce. Heat for a minute or so, tossing to coat.
Serve with rice and your choice of vegetables if using, top with remaining sauce, and garnish with green onion.