You can make this oil-free, but there's nothing like the warm, nutty aroma of sesame oil toasting in the pan -- it adds another dimension of flavour that balances the citrus notes of the lemongrass beautifully.
You will need
- 1 tablespoon sesame or olive oil (or sub water for oil-free)
- 1 brown onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 lemongrass stems, crushed and chopped finely
- 2 tbsp soy or tamari sauce
- 400 g firm tofu, cut into 1–2 cm cubes
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced into batons
- 1 bunch leafy greens (such as baby spinach, choy sum or gai lan / Chinese broccoli)
- 1 cup snow peas
- Rice, to serve
Optional add-ins (to taste)
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
20 mins to prep
20 mins to cook
Heat the oil (or water) in large fry pan or wok over high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and lemongrass and sauté for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add the tofu and all the vegetables then sauté for 5–10 minutes or until everything is cooked through. If you want any of the optional ingredients, add them to the pan then toss everything until combined.
Divide the stir-fry into bowls and serve with hot rice.