Chickpeas are a little powerhouse of a legume, both for their nutritional value and their ability to transform into anything -- not only hummus, but cookies, breads, and naturally, burgers!
You will need
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 2 x 400 g tins chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste (if spice-sensitive, start with 1/4 teaspoon)
- 150 g (1 1/2 cups) panko breadcrumbs
- 2 avocados
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemon
- 1 cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- 150 g (1/2 cup) vegan mayo*
- 8 small cos lettuce leaves, rinsed
- 4 crusty bread rolls, cut in half
45 mins to prep
15 mins to cook
In a small bowl combine flax meal with 6 tablespoons (1/2 cup) water. Set aside for 10-15 minutes or until thick.
Place chickpeas, most of the coriander, cumin, chilli, garlic, cayenne pepper into a blender. Pulse on high for 30 seconds for a rough textured mixture.
Transfer to a bowl and add panko crumbs and flax eggs. Using hands, mix together thoroughly and divide into 4 equal portions. Shape into patties and place on a lined baking tray. Sit in fridge for 25 minutes.
In the meantime, scoop the flesh of the avocados into a medium sized bowl. Using the back of a fork roughly mash the avo. Stir in the juice of 1 lemon and season with salt and pepper.
For the salsa, combine cucumber, red onion, the other 1/2 lemon's juice, olive oil and coriander in a small bowl. Stir to combine and season with a little salt.
Then combine chipotle in adobo sauce with mayo in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
Heat a medium saucepan over a medium heat and pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Heat for 30 seconds and place in patties. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown, flip and repeat. Drain on paper towel.
Lay out bread rolls on to serving plates. Smear mayonnaise on top and bottom buns. Place lettuce on the bottom buns and follow with a pattie. Top with a dollop of avocado smash and a generous serving of cucumber salsa. Finish off with burger top and serve.