A giant step up from the cup of noodles you make in the microwave, this is ramen done right! The miso aids in digestion and the rest of it aids in your happiness -- trust us, we tested it.
You will need
- 2 litres vegan soup stock
- 8 dried shitake mushrooms
- 20 g ginger, sliced
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 strip, (5 cm) dried kombu*
- 125 g red miso paste
- 125 g white miso paste
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 250 g firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted and ground Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- Peanut oil, to shallow fry
- 250 g dried ramen noodles
- 2 baby bok choy, halved and washed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup edamame, blanched
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, quartered
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 nori sheet, quartered
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Micro herbs and shichimi togarashi (Japanese seven-spice blend), to garnish
45 mins to prep
70 mins to cook
To make the broth, place all the ingredients, except the kombu, in a large pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes, or until reduced by a quarter. Add the kombu to the reduced stock and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Remove from heat and strain, reserving the broth and mushrooms, and discarding the remaining solids.
To make the miso tare, whisk together all the ingredients, and set aside.
To make the spicy tofu, combine the cornflour, salt, peppers and chilli flakes in a bowl and toss through tofu cubes to coat. Shallow fry the tofu for 1-2 minutes in peanut oil at 180°C. Drain over wire racks. Set aside.
To assemble the soup, return the broth to heat, and simmer, whisking in the miso tare. Add the bok choy, corn, edamame, and shitake mushrooms to the broth and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a separate pot of boiling water according to the package directions, drain and divide between the four bowls. Ladle over the broth and vegetables, and add the tofu, spring onions, nori, and sesame seeds to each bowl. Garnish with micro herbs and shichimi togarashi to serve.