A light, versatile filling makes this sandwich perfect for daily lunches or picnics, or for cutting into dainty tea sandwiches. The optional addition of nori sheets give it that salty, briny flavour of the sea!
You will need
- 8–12 slices of fresh wholegrain bread
- Shredded iceberg lettuce, to serve
- Fresh herbs (optional), to serve
- 400 g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup egg-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 chives, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baby capers, drained
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 toasted nori sushi sheets, shredded (optional)
10 mins to prep
0 mins to cook
Place all the filling ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse for no longer than 30 seconds in total, checking intermittently that the mixture isn't turning into a paste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
You're aiming for a rough mash, so it's fine if some chickpeas remain almost whole. (You could also do this the old-fashioned way and squash all the ingredients together with a potato masher.)
Spread the mixture over half the bread slices. Top with shredded lettuce, and some fresh herbs if using, sandwich the other bread slices on top and serve straight away.