A particularly handy recipe when you've got a slightly stale loaf that you don't want to toss, this sweet, custardy, crunchy French toast is easy to make and even easier to love!
You will need
- 8 thick slices of bread
- 1 cup soy milk, or any dairy-free milk
- 2–3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 tablespoon self-raising flour
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil, such as rice bran, for pan-frying
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Fresh berries or sliced banana, to serve
- Sifted icing sugar, for dusting
10 mins to prep
15 mins to cook
If your bread is fresh, give it a quick turn in the toaster to prevent it from falling apart when you dip it in the milk mixture.
Meanwhile, whisk together the soy milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, cornflour, flour and salt, then pour into a wide, shallow bowl for ease of dipping.
Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat.
Dunk both sides of a few slices of bread in the milk mixture, then transfer to the hot pan. Cook for a few minutes, until the underside is nicely browned, then carefully flip the slices over and brown the other side.
Remove from the pan and cook the remaining slices in the same way.
Serve immediately, with maple syrup, fresh berries or sliced banana on the side, and a dusting of icing sugar.