Ever notice that tofu bears a striking resemblance to hard-boiled egg whites? Well surprise, surprise -- it makes an uncanny egg salad substitute. Just don't forget your black salt!
You will need
Tofu egg salad
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons parsley or dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black salt, or 'kala namak'*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider or white vinegar
- Pepper to taste
- 400g medium-firm tofu
- 2 cups lettuce
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- 8 slices of sandwich bread (gluten-free if needed)
20 mins to prep
0 mins to cook
To prepare the tofu egg salad, add all the ingredients except the tofu in a medium size bowl. Whisk until combined and smooth.
Add the tofu to the bowl and mash roughly with a fork. Mix the tofu until it's combined with the seasonings. The tofu should be chunky but not too mashed like scrambled eggs.
To prepare the sandwiches, place 4 slices of bread on a flat surface. Top with lettuce, cucumber and the tofu egg mixture. Place the other slices on bread on top and serve.