Fresh, wholesome, flavourful, with the kid-friendly appeal of building your own tacos at the table, this is a can't-go-wrong recipe for mealtime with friends or family.
You will need
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons mild taco spice mix
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional, consider omitting if for kids)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 avocado, diced*
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt flakes and fleshly ground black pepper
- 10 mini soft corn tacos, lightly chargrilled
- Extra sprigs of coriander, for garnish
- 1/3 cup dairy-free sour cream (plain/natural-flavoured coconut yoghurt works great too!)
20 mins to prep
20 mins to cook
For the Mexican beans, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Add onion and spice mix, stirring until well coated. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add tomatoes, beans, salt and pepper, stirring until combined. Increase heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until mixture reduces by a third. Add chopped coriander, stirring to combine.
For the salsa, combine all ingredients together in a small bowl, stirring to combine. Set aside until required.
To serve, spoon the black bean filling into the centre of each taco. Top with salsa, a sprig of coriander and a dollop of dairy-free sour cream.
* If you want guacamole with your tacos, you can omit the avocado from the salsa, and instead mash it up with extra lime juice, salt, and pepper to make a simple guacamole for taco-dolloping!